Thursday, October 30, 2008

Tai Chi

In the mornings it is very common for a group of people to gather and exercise (you may remember I danced in park one day...) Today I left early to wander to the park and watch the fun. There were a few large groups of people doing Tai Chi and some groups of 4 playing a Chinese version of hacky sack. They use a use a stack of circular cork type material with three feathers sticking out of the top. They are very good. It is mostly "retired" people doing this, some younger people but not many. They all wear their regular clothes and shoes, no exercise clothes, no running shoes. Behind the Tai Chi area there is what a thought was a playground for children, but all the adults were doing their exercising there. There is a small track with people running, again in jeans and canvas shoes. All sweating, carrying hand towels. There was even a couple playing badminton.

After I watched (no participating this time) I went back to the incredible breakfast buffet. This is our view at breakfast. You can't see the people swimming in the river, but they are there, lots of them! Then a quick trip to Starbucks for a few more souvenirs.

My "friend" Sarah, a shop keeper who gave me some good deals since we have the sme

1 comment:

Curt, Pam, Ryan and Carissa said...

I remember Sarah!! She gave my mother-in-law a good deal on a necklace. It was better than one I had gotten earlier from another store so I remembered her well. We met her the first night we walked around Guangzhou. I loved the shopping (I am sure you did too!!)