Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Tip

Here is a story to share of my first (of many) cultural "moments" We get in last night and all is going well (except they can't find our reservation), but all is worked out and we go to exchange money on the way to our room. Well those of you who know me, know I do not get #'s at all. Even when it comes to money (my husband is thinking of many stories right now of my inability to know when to stop spending) So here I am with this fist full of Chinese money. There are two types of bills, 100's and 10's. I have no idea the value of these, but in 2 short minutes I am going to have to tip the bell boy. So I know at this point I am not going to part with the 100's, but I only have 2 of the 10's so I decide he gets one 10. He bows in thanks. Did I give him a quarter? Did I give him $10? I guess I will know when he ignores me this morning or trips all over himself to help me out!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sarah:
20 Chinese yuan = 2.92796 U.S. dollars

Hope you are having a blast. I'm SO jealous!

Liz

The Adamski Family said...

Sarah, Glad to hear you made it safely to China. You will be happy to know that we missed you a ton today...there wasn't a dry eye in the building...ok maybe it wasn't that bad. Thanks for the updates!