Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Red Couch

Anyone familiar with Chinese adoption knows about "The Red Couch" For those who don't here is a little history. Any person adopting from China has to go to Guangzhou to process the visa. All families stay at the White Swan Hotel on Shamian Island. The White Swan Hotel, as you know, is very beautiful and has many lovely sitting areas with red velvet couches. (Now at first I thought there was just one red couch with the sun of heaven shining upon it, but no, there are many...). It is tradition that the "babies" all sit together on the red couch in there Chinese outfits for a group picture. Now you can imagine what this is like: Kids crying, tipping over, parents rushing into rescue those who run off. Here are a few pictures, before and after.
Colby, Andrew, Own, Hanna, Lina (holding) Hannah
A.J., Alex, Katie (Alex's sister)
There is one more Hannah, she escaped : )

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Sarah,
thanks so much for blogging your trip. I have been following you daily and feel so well informed!

I just saved last image on this entry to my desktop to remember to pray for these kids and their families as they make their transitions in culture and family life. Also, I hope it reminds me to pray for those still in need of forever families in China and beyond! Safe travels home, friend!

Anonymous said...

A classic photo. Reminds me of the one I took of you and the neighborhood kids on our front steps at Ballard Street.
I love the Tai Chi in the Park.
See you Sunday.
Dad